Thursday, January 12, 2012

Pumpkin Chowder

Something I noticed almost immediately after arriving in Kampala was that a majority of the staples in a Ugandan diet are foods originating from other places, namely the Americas.  Sweet potatoes, regular potatoes, corn, and pumpkins are all widely eaten and grown in Uganda.  It makes me wonder what they were eating before these foods made it across the ocean...


I've never cooked with fresh pumpkin before, but I see it often sold in the markets and decided to give it a try.


So I made Pumpkin Chowder.


I enjoyed it, although I think pumpkin soup would taste great as a puree.  Unfortunately I don't have the equipment for that, but I do have my Kitchen Magician (the frying pan), which assisted with the toasted bread we ate with the soup.

No comments:

Post a Comment