Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Graduation Party 1

Last week Derrick and I were invited to our friend's graduation party.  It was really neat to see how these parties differed from those we're used to the the States.  Overall we had a really wonderful time and it was great to be a part of an event that meant so much to our friend.   


The party was actually for five graduates, and each of them gave a speech.  Some had a knack for claiming they weren't going to speak for very long and then plowing on through never ending monologues.  


Our friend's uncle was the one who threw the party.  He seemed peeved that he had to give a speech.  

On the other end of the spectrum, one man with a phd was not even asked for a speech, but rose to share some "advice" anyways.  He basically held our hands through his entire CV, continually mentioning how the graduates should look to his achievements when thinking about their futures.  Very modest.


My friend and some of her guests.  Many of the women adorned themselves in their most vibrant outfits.  I love how everything is so bright and dramatic.


They shoot confetti onto the graduates and, unfortunately, the cake.  This seems to happen at a lot of special occasions, like the wedding I went to way back when.


Have I mentioned that cake in Kampala is a sham?  My standards have gone down, so I eat it here, but sometimes I wish I could have a rich, soft cake with creamy frosting. This is basically the opposite.  


Friends!  They all look sickeningly happy don't they?


No comments:

Post a Comment