Monday, January 9, 2012

Local Food 3: Zanzibar

I think I mentioned this in one of my past posts, but Derrick and I went on a spice tour while in Zanzibar.  Zanzibar is like an exotic cornucopia, so we actually saw much more than spices. 



The guide liked to make his group of food-illiterate tourists guess what he was showing us.  I had no idea that this was cocoa.


The coca beans are coated in this slick, fruity layer that people suck on like candy.  


Ginger!


Avocados in East Africa get huge.  I wish I had some tortilla chips to go with my guacamole.


Flowers.


This poor cinnamon tree is meant for tour purposes, so it gets further mutilated every time a new group passes through.  It was interesting to learn that not only do they use the bark from the tree for what we know as cinnamon, but they also put the leaves in porridge.  


Chilies!  I think it's funny when white guys eat chilies straight like it's some kind of macho thing: "Dude, it's not even hot!"   I really couldn't care less if they want to shove a chili down their gob.  


Any guesses?  Cloves.  Who would've thought they start out pink.


Nutmeg.  I was also really creeped out by the guide's super long cocaine nail.  I couldn't stop thinking of witches every time I looked at it.


Star fruit.  It was disappointingly bitter.  


My all time favorite: vanilla beans.  This is before they're dried.  In college my friends...and I...talked about starting a tote bag business (Jamal's Totes) with wonderfully non-annoying sayings like "If you love it so much, why don't you marry it?"  I love vanilla beans so much...

No comments:

Post a Comment