Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Pumpkin and Potato Curry

Derrick and I have a friend who just moved to Kampala for work.  He flew in from Hong Kong and stayed with us while he got settled.  I tend to finish a flight hungry or tired, so I made a big batch of pumpkin curry in case he was hungry when he arrived.  



When I told one of my coworkers that a friend would be staying with me she asked "What did you prepare?" I ignored the assumption that just because I'm a girl I'm the one who is expected to cook for visitors and I told her that I made pumpkin curry.  


At the word "curry" she squinched up her nose in disgust and said "What?! No Matoke?"  (Matoke is  boiled plantains that are usually eaten with peanut sauce).  I bit my tongue when I started to respond that I was sure my visitor would get plenty of starches while in Uganda so she need not worry.  No need to be Sassy-Stacey.  

If anyone makes a curry like this, I recommend adding golden raisins.  Their sweet flavor really complements the mix of spices.

No comments:

Post a Comment