Tuesday, January 3, 2012

The Hobbits Are Going To Zanzibar: Part 2

We spent close to two weeks in Zanzibar, so I have quite a few photos to share.  I'll be doing multiple posts to cover everything.  


We ate at a restaurant called "The Rock."  It's basically a restaurant plopped down on top of a rock in the sea.  During high tide the water surrounds the entire building and people have to take boats to get to it.  Unfortunately we visited during low tide and stormy weather, but it was still pretty neat to see.  


The ocean!  Some of the days were cloudy, but we got some really beautiful days as well.  


Zanzibar is uber touristy.  Most beach-side properties are owned by people managing hotels or restaurants.  The hotels along the beach are pretty isolated as well.  There isn't really a "town" to go into for drinks or activities, so travelers tend to just walk up and down the beach visiting different hotel restaurants for variety.


Breakfast was included in the hotels we stayed at.  I don't eat eggs, but Derrick does so I always ordered something and he would just eat both of ours.  One day he decided to be experimental and have me order poached eggs, something neither of us have ever had or seen.  They didn't get eaten.  

Our waiter also insisted on saying "enjoy your nice meat" EVERY time he served anything on the table (breakfast, lunch, or dinner).  He pours some water "enjoy your nice meat", he serves some eggs "enjoy your nice meat", he brought us some bread "enjoy your nice meat."  I had to try VERY hard not to laugh.  


This dog winked at me.

'

Seafood is extremely popular on Zanzibar.  We had octopus, calamari (a lot), prawns.  Here we had "slipper" lobster.  I don't know what slipper means, but it was delicious.


Stonetown has a huge seafood market.  I saw them carving open a shark, but I was told not to take photos, so I got a shot of this guy.


Spices galore!


We ate at a restaurant at the top of a hotel in Stonetown.


Avocado smoothie!  I know that some of you are avocado haters and have raised your eyebrows at my avocado experiments, but this was a drink after my own heart and it was great.  

No comments:

Post a Comment