Sunday, February 5, 2012

Mozzarella

I found cheese.  It turns out there is a "farmer's market" here, which is basically code for a market where vendors sell food white people like.  


All the markets here on the roadside selling piles of onions, pineapples, and carrots are technically farmer's markets, but we simply refer to them as The Market.  A farmer's market seems to take on the meaning of what we see in the U.S.  There is mozzarella, ricotta, fresh baguettes, and basil.  They even import fruits like orange oranges (Ugandan oranges are green), apples, and pears.  These are fruits that are simply not grown in Uganda.  


Ugandans know their audience though.  The money is where the foreigners are, so you should sell what foreigners like.  Even if that means importing fruits from South Africa to sell at the "local" farmer's market.  


Look, I love mozzarella.  No, it's not as good as what I can get in the U.S., but I wasn't going to turn it down.  I bought mozzarella made from a Ugandan cow's milk, and it was pretty good.  

Something I could turn down was the tortilla chips and salsa.  First of all, the label said "torttilo chips", and the salsa looked watery and just made me unhappy to look at.  Just as I hesitated to trust the east coast to make delicious Mexican food, I also mistrust Ugandans.  


This meal reminded me of summer in California.  I was pretty pleased with myself that I was able to eat this food in February, which would generally never happen in the U.S. at this time.  

No comments:

Post a Comment