Thursday, March 22, 2012

Qaddafi's Mosque

There aren't many tourist sights in Kampala.  But there is a cluster of religious buildings (a mosque, baha'i temple, and cathedral) that get some attention from sight seekers.  


In certain parts of town, the Mosque dominates the view.  It's huge.  But it hadn't even occurred to me to visit it until some friends decided to go.


For the tour they wrapped us up in scarves (heads and legs).  A man wrapped me and he didn't seem to confident in what he was doing.  At one point he seemed to be getting frustrated and asked "Don't women do this where you're from?"  I told him yes, but I don't.  So I ended up stumbling about, trying to hold my scarf up while taking pictures.  


The inside of the mosque was really peaceful and impressive.  


The mosque was started by Idi Amin and completed with funds donated by Qaddafi.


We climbed up to get a view of Kampala.  


While at the top, we managed to get attention from the male tourists and guides.  Once we made our way down they were very eager to have photos with us, and take English lessons, and hold our hands...


Another day in Uganda.  

No comments:

Post a Comment